Timbercreek (also called Hazelview), a well-known property developer in Ottawa, has applied for an Official Plan Amendment (OPA) with the city’s government, proposing to redevelop the Herongate area for the next 20 years.
That’s right: two-zero. As in, two decades of one company having free reign over an area’s development.
ACORN Ottawa sprang into action by submitting a list of tenant’s demands to city officials, which must include the following, among other demands, if the OPA is to be granted:
- 25-35% affordable housing with an emphasis on DEEP affordability
- Affordable childcare space
- Local job hiring pre and post construction
- Affordable retail space for small businesses
- Continued maintenance of units and proactive inspections by the City
- Quarterly reports on progress presented to tenants and community organizations in the neighborhood
Local ACORN members followed this list of demands with a Rally for Herongate to push for affordable housing, no demovictions, and no displacement of the local community. Check out highlights from their action below: