- ACORN India Delhi: Organizers ramp up support for communities amid COVID wave
As India remains gripped in the latest coronavirus upsurge, members of ACORN India have stepped in around the country to provide food supplies, resources, and quarantine support. In Delhi, contract workers were recently granted two months of food rations after a push from nonprofit groups like ACORN India to provide resources for informal workers and […]
- ACORN India on the BBC: How Dharavi Coped with Coronavirus
BBC featured an update on the pandemic in Dharavi, where public health programs and aid from organizations such as ACORN have helped decrease infections and deaths. As one of the most intensely packed places on earth, it is incredibly positive news to see that cases and deaths are down. Local leaders attribute this to local […]
- This Hyderabad singer has started a music revolution in Mumbai’s Dharavi slums. Here’s how
Written by Seema Rajpal June 23rd, 2020 from Edex Live Hyderabad-based Gomathi Iyer is doing some unforgettable covers on Instagram and before the lockdown, was helping girls in one of the largest slums in the world, Dharavi in Mumbai learn to sing.
- How Asia’s biggest slum contained the coronavirus
Soutik Biswas June 23rd, 2020 from BBC News In one of the world’s most congested shanty towns, social distancing is not a luxury people can afford. And density is a friend of the coronavirus. Imagine more than 500,000 people spread over 2.5 grubby sq km, less than a square mile. That’s a population larger than […]
- PM SVANidhi: Will it be a non-starter?
by Dharmendra Kumar — June 24, 2020 from Counter Currents It is said that COVID does not differentiate. Yet, people on the margin have been differently impacted by COVID. Street vendors are one such vulnerable group. With lockdown, streets wore a deserted look. Street livelihood vanished all of a sudden. Street vendors, generally outlawed and […]
- Distribution of Food Rations in Dharavi
- Photos: ACORN India Continues Food Distribution
- ACORN convenes first global Zoom call during COVID-19 pandemic
ACORN International board members, supported by their staff, convened in a first global Zoom call today. ACORN leaders from 15 countries and 20 affiliates joined the call and participated using translators and translation software.