From London ACORN:
On Saturday November 28th, London ACORN members and tenants of 186 King Street who have been silently living with pest infestations and lack of maintenance and repairs, held a tenant speakout. Their landlord, Briarlane Rental Property Management, who boasts of owning and managing rental portfolio across Ontario, has been extremely negligent. Tenants need a management that responds to them. Currently, there are no standard office hours when tenants can approach them to get any issue resolved. On top of that, they enter tenants’ units without proper notice! There are even reports that a senior died of heat during summer as the building lacks proper heat/cold conditions. ACORN members and tenants decided to speak out against their landlord to highlight the issues they have been facing.
Close to 20 people joined the action. The action was led by London ACORN leaders. Members were joined by the NDP MPP Terence Kernaghan.
Tenants are demanding that:
- The landlord takes urgent action to do the necessary repairs and maintenance.
- There is a pest management plan which is carried out in a timely manner.
- There is staff and resources available in the building to do general maintenance and repair.
- The building follows COVID-19 related health protocols.
- The City of London needs to take immediate action to ensure that there is greater landlord accountability.
We haven’t still heard from the Property Management Company & Owner – Briarlane but we will keep the fight on!