The Commonwealth Games starting Oct 3 now faces a new threat: Jats from Haryana. Upset that the Haryana government is not promising them quotas in jobs and educational institutions, a Jat leader Thursday threatened to block Delhi’s borders Oct 3 when the Games begin. The Jats are seeking
reservation in government jobs and educational institutions and also a status as other backward class (OBC).
“So far we have not got any satisfactory reply from the Haryana government. We have decided to intensify our peaceful campaign. We will seal Delhi’s borders Oct 3,” Yash Pal Malik, president of the All India Jat Aarakshan Sangarsh Samiti, said here.
Malik said they can also march towards Delhi.
On Sep 13 and 14, Hisar district in Haryana saw widespread violence by Jats over the same demand.
“We will not allow any commodity of daily use to reach Delhi. Only then the central government will start paying heed to our demands. From today, we have started ‘guerilla action’ under which we will suddenly stop any train and block any road without prior intimation,” stated Malik.
He added: “On Sep 27, when the Queen’s Baton Relay enters Haryana, we will show black flags. But we will make sure that nobody indulges in any violence.”
Original article: http://www.hindustantimes.com/Now-Jats-threaten-Commonwealth-Games/Article1-603822.aspx